EuroSys Roger Needham PhD Award (2013)
Prize donated by Microsoft Research Cambridge
The EuroSys Roger Needham PhD award is an anual prize awarded to a PhD student from a European University whose thesis is regarded to be an exceptional, innovative contribution to knowledge in the systems area. "Systems" is interpreted broadly, and includes operating systems, distributed systems, real-time systems, transactional and database systems, language runtimes, embedded systems, computer networks, systems aspects of programming, systems security, etc. The winner will receive €2000, which will be awarded at the EuroSys conference. The prize is donated by Microsoft Research Cambridge.
Criteria for selection are the overall contribution to systems research in terms of scientific originality, scientific significance, scientific rigor, quality of the presentation and potential for practical application.
The recipient of the EuroSys ROGER NEEDHAM PhD AWARD(2013)is:
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
for her PhD thesis entitled "USING INFORMATION FLOW TRACKING TO PROTECT LEGACY BINARIES"
Nominations for the 2013 award – for students who have defended their PhD thesis after September 1, 2011 – are open at https://eurosys2013-phd.mpi-sws.org/ . The deadline for nominations is November 5, 2012. By this date the student must have produced the version of the dissertation that will be defended, but the actual defense can take place in the remainder of 2012.
Nominations can only be made by a student's PhD supervisor. A nomination must include:
- The title and abstract of the dissertation;
- a copy of the dissertation itself (PDF);
- a (1 page) recommendation letter from the submitter (PDF);
- the name of the institution and the date of the defense; and
- the names of up to three suggested external reviewers; the committee will request an external review from one of them.
2013 EuroSys Roger Needham Award Review Committee:
- Lorenzo Alvisi, UT Austin
- Cristian Cadar, Imperial College London
- Paolo Costa, Imperial College London
- Petros Efstathopoulos, Symantec Research Labs
- Alexandra Fedorova, Simon Fraser University
- Roxana Geambasu, Columbia University
- Rebecca Isaacs, Microsoft Research
- Flavio Junqueira, Yahoo! Research
- Anne-Marie Kermarrec, INRIA
- Dejan Kostic, EPFL
- Rodrigo Rodrigues, Univ. Nova de Lisboa (chair)
- Liuba Shrira, Brandeis University
- Jens Teubner, ETH Zurich
Past recipients:2012: Derek Murray, for his thesis A Distributed Execution Engine Supporting Data-Dependent Control Flow
2011: Jorrit Herder, for his thesis Building a Dependable Operating System: Fault Tolerance in MINIX 3
2010: Willem de Bruijn, for his thesis Adaptive Operating System Design for High Throughput I/O
2009: Jacob Gorm Hansen, for his thesis Virtual Machine Mobility with Self-Migration
2008: Adam Dunkels, for his thesis Programming Memory-Constrained Networked Embedded Systems
2007: Nick Cook, for his thesis Middleware Support for Non-repudiable Business-to-Business Interactions
Oliver Heckmann, for his thesis A
System-oriented Approach to Efficiency and Quality of Service for
Internet Service Providers
Contact the webmaster: webmaster _at_ eurosys.org